How has Mount Nittany been preserved as a fountainhead of tradition, pride and recreation?
In 1945, the Lion’s Paw Alumni Association (LPAA) saved 525 acres from lumbering and other desecration through a fund-raising campaign among its few hundred members. But encroachment continued. In 1981, the Association formed the Mount Nittany Conservancy (MNC) to acquire additional land. With community and alumni support, the Conservancy has obtained through purchase or donation over 300 acres that faced possible use for commercial or residential purposes.
If you’ve ever been curious about the Mike Lynch Overlook, read more about how Lynch was the lynchpin.
This link, Kings of the Hill (Courtesy of Town & Gown magazine) is to a scanned PDF from November/December 1976 issue of The Penn Stater magazine. The article was first published in the July and August 1976 editions of Town & Gown magazine under the title “Who Owns Mount Nittany?” Written by Terry Dunkle, the story concludes with a powerful statement as true today as when it was written: She is our Plymouth Rock, our Old Faithful, our Cathedral of Rheims, our Gibraltar. “The moment we see Mount Nittany,” as one old grad has said, “we know we are home.”
This link, Not-any Mountain, is a view from the early 1980s that is a wonderful look back at the early history of Mt. Nittany and its place in all our hearts.
In 2011, the Mount Nittany Conservancy marked 30 years of keeping the Mountain ‘green and growing’. Click here to learn more about the MNC History and Lore.
Penn Pilot, a project sponsored by the Pennsylvania Geological Survey, is an online library of digital historical aerial photography for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The following images show Mt. Nittany Through the Years.